Saturday, April 14, 2007

Geocaching

I heard of this interesting hobby (I guess you could call it that) from a fellow blogger (thanks Scooter!) and I generally assumed that it would not be available here in Australia, not because we are behind the rest of the world (because we are not) but because GPS is not that hugely popular here yet. But it is!

What is Geocaching? Wikipedia defines it as: an outdoor treasure-hunting game in which the participants use a Global Positioning System (GPS) receiver or other navigational techniques to hide and seek containers (called "geocaches" or "caches") anywhere in the world. A typical cache is a small waterproof container containing a logbook and "treasure," usually toys or trinkets of little monetary value. Today, well over 350,000 geocaches are currently placed in 222 countries around the world, which are registered on various websites devoted to the sport.

And here is the Australia site: http://geocaching.com.au/

So all I have to do is equip myself with a handheld GPS and convince the man that it is totally worth it. Most of the caches that are on the site are not in metro area, but who really wants to trek in the city anyway, I love my city but at the same time can't stand it. So this could also mean more family outings into the country and mountains.

Oh yes, you have heard it all before, I WANT to do this.

2 comments:

Coco said...

My Ex-Boyfriend Simon use to be obssesed with Geo-Caching and he and his friends have done it since about 2000.

Never appealled to me but apparently it is very addictive.

Scooter said...

Good to know I'm an influence on someone, although I think Eryn enjoys it more than I do (but I suspect because when we do it in the burbs, there's often a playground near by). Yesterday she got to see a snake and nesting geese.