Friday, January 30, 2009

Reading Jigglies

As much as I love electronic games, I find that I always head back to the old time entertainment of reading and I really wanted to share this love with my boy's. So since their births I have been reading to them and when they could walk and point we headed to the library so they could choose some stories of their own liking. But as Big Little Man found a love of electronic stimulation (get your minds out of the gutter), the Wii, X-box and NDS, his interest in reading started to wane.

What to do? Find a book that will make him stop and see books are just as interesting and fun. I spent a few hours at Borders and searched the web for books boy's of his age read and there is a wonderful array of them, so off to the library I went with my list and came back with these three:
Zac Powers is a tween spy - every little boy's dream!


Captain Underpants is a superhero but is really just a hypnotized school principle - again another kids dream come true!

and this funny little book which reminds me of a very modern Dr Seuss with a bit of wacky humor that make mum's laugh too! Highly recommend this book (and it's twin "The Cat on the Mat is Flat to any age group!)

We really enjoy the others, but Captain Underpants makes my son jiggle with excitement, I bought his first copy (one he could keep) and his eye's glowed, his hands waved about and he was on his toes...he jiggled!

So I think I'm satisfied that as a parent I have done one thing right as each night both my son's beg to read another chapter and best of all he does the reading and I sit back and enjoy the stories!

No comments: