Friday, January 26, 2007

BOOKCLUB Blog: The Book of Flying by Keith Miller




Today I returned my library books and hoped that my reserved book was ready, but it looks like I shall be waiting at least another month for it. I asked them to send over the book that my sister suggested and I should have a hold of that by mid week but in the intrim I still want something to read.
I grabbed a book on the "New Fiction" shelf called The Book of Flying by Keith Miller, I'm not sure why I ended up with this one as I liked 2 others, but it was 260 pages so I can get through it quickly so I can start on the next book and it is a genre that I generally don't read - fantasy.

Here is a short Synopsis of it: Our hero, Pico, is a poet and librarian, and forbidden to pursue the girl of his dreams, for she has wings and Pico does not. When he discovers an ancient letter in his library telling of the mythical Morning Town where the flightless may gain their wings, he sets off on a quest. It's a magical journey in which he meets a robber queen, a lonely minotaur, a cannibal, an immortal beauty, and a dream seller. Each has a story, and a lesson, for Pico-about learning to love, to persevere, and, of course, to fly.

I finished reading this book about a week ago, I had stopped and started it twice and it was even returned to the library at one stage whilst I finished reading Book2 and Book 3 of the Tales of the Otori. I must admit I didn't really like it in the begin, it was very strange with fictioanl creatures and odd odd lives, but it captured me in the end and I felt so sorry for Pico. I'm not a story give away person, so if you want to know what happens - read the book!

No comments: