Sunday, June 08, 2008

Feeling left out

I don't like the feeling of being left out of things, it's horrible
and makes me think that I must be disliked or plain unwanted, but this
situation is not just me, it's something I'm feeling for my son, let
me explain.

(I just need to put this here to clear it off my mind so sorry no
light hearted chit chat today)

Big Little Man's bestie had to go to hospital to get his tonsils
removed, we visited him after the procedure, gave him a little gift as
good friends do and then went our way home. I received a call from
the soccer teams manager to ask what "bestie" liked, as the team would
all like to pitch in and get him a little something, nice idea I
thought.

I got home and told The Man and he said that it would have been nice
to be asked first as this procedure was not an emergency and we all
knew weeks in advance that he would be going into hospital, I just put
it down to the fact that the manager always just went over everyones
heads and made herself look good.

Anyway, I called "bestie" mum to see if she would like a visit today,
she said "bestie would love that and come by". She then tells me that
the ENTIRE soccer team came over yesterday and visited and gave him a
Socceroo's jersey as a gift...this is the left out bit.

Are we not part of the team? Is it because we all visited him already?
What about allowing my boys to sign the TEAM card?

Who ever thought that Under 7 soccer would be so political and
deceiving, we have always felt that they never liked us from day one.
Yes The Man is not the most social person but the coach has always
looked down on Big Little Man's skills and only let him play for 5-10
min a game.

What to do though? Oh well.

3 comments:

abc said...

Oh buggar. Some people suck. Its life though - it happens. But it gets to you. One of my two bosses, my middle boss is a member of firebrigade - been a volunteer for over a decade. Last week they had their annual voting for positions - you know - sectary, officers, captain and so on. Now my boss is a dedicated volunteer and yet at the voting it seemd all set up and he said there was talking behind him and his adult daughters abck - so bad that she got up and walked out.He did not get any of the positions he wanted. He said it seemd the ones who put on the fanciest BBQs got them. After talking to him I realised that its very political in the firebrigade volunteers. Who would have thunk it? he was a disappointed, and I could tell it cut him, but he takes things on the chin. so it happens... all the time. I don't think there is anything to do. I mean you can go and speak to the women and ask her point blank why your sons were not invited for the visit from the team - or even told about it. And tell her that as the coach she is supposed to be a model of fairness and teamwork. And that you dont expect it to happen again. Or you could just leave it. I tend to leave things, but I'm not sure that is the right way to go.Sometimes it just lets people wsalk over you, but sometimes its better to hold you head high and not engage is negativity. Its a balance. whats important is that you bring up your sons to care for everyone. So they become the people that see the kdis feeling left out in the playground and invite them in - and so they know they are good people, and they know they are special souls for being like that. I'm sorry this happened, and I hope you are ok.

Alibongo said...

That sounds really unfair to me. I would be asking the coach what happened and why weren't your son's invited.

Anonymous said...

Oh I hear you! It's funny you bring this up now "being left out" business , because it's been on my mind constantly about a previous work colleuge and how she treated me. She was a horrible woman. She would be talking to me and my other collegue and always would invite him to things or , that I was meant to be invited too. Or give out free tickets to everyone else but me.


Then I just found out that she and another work colleague of hers just removed me from facebook. Although,I did not like her and wanted to do the same thing at times, I felt it was rude and no big deal to have her on there, but to have her and her colleague remove me(and I actually liked the other collegue) really hurt and felt was very petty.

I think the thing that gets to me is a) how can people have no manners b)are they purposely doing this c) if so why? d) why would someone act that way? What are they trying to make you feel? e) how dare they make me feel this way, when they're in the wrong!